Your one stop shop for everything student related

Emigration & Travel Tips

Gone are the days when the senses are awakened by the smell of fresh cash and employment, hello are the days when your degree certificate is becoming dusty in the corner. This is the perfect time to pack your bags and flee from Ireland. The most popular scene in Dublin airport is a mother fighting back tears as she gives her child a final hug. Grandparents, sisters and brothers saying their goodbyes in the departure hall. These images of families captured by TV cameras at airports suggest that emigration, so long the curse of Ireland, is back with a vengeance. If you are that person hoping to cross the departure gates with tingles of excitement running down your spine you are browsing the perfect web-site for information on how to live your dream.

With unemployment at 13 per cent and further cuts required under the IMF-EU bailout terms, most economists predict the flow of people abroad will continue. This begs a question: are we back to the bad old days of the 1980s, when 500,000 people left the country to live abroad? English-speaking countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the US remain favourite destinations with a new generation of Irish emigrants. Nor is unemployment the sole driver of emigration, a fact underlined by continuing emigration during Celtic Tiger years, when labour shortages prompted many firms to recruit overseas. Of course some do not want to emigrate but simply have no options.

So you’ve decided to pack your bags? Tips for successful immigration:

Step 1: Do your research carefully on different types of immigration agencies. Major agencies include;,,

The above are travel agencies used to gather information on visas, work abroad and volunteer programmes. It’s so simple, just pop into the agency you desire, book a travel agent relevant to your chosen destination and they will be your ever so helpful guide to take you step by step on your awaiting journey. Be it, J1, inter-railing, permanent residency, volunteer work or teaching English all your quires will be answered.

Step 2: Popular visas:


The Australian Working Holiday Visa (WHM Visa) allows young people between the ages of 18 and 30 to have an extended holiday supplemented by casual employment for up to 12 months in Australia.

Under the Working Holiday programme in Australia, the primary purpose of your visit must be holiday, but you are entitled to seek temporary employment in Oz to help fund your stay.

Prices vary on different packages.


  • You must be aged between 18 and 30 (inclusive) at the date of your Australia work visa application
  • You must not have any dependent children
  • You have enough funds to support yourself when you arrive in Australia
  • You must hold a passport from an eligible country, valid for at least one more year
  • You have not received an Australian Working Holiday Visa before
  • You must not have any serious criminal convictions
  • You must not have any serious medical issues


The Working Holiday Visa in Australia is for 12 months and during this time you can leave and re-enter the country as many times as you like. If you wish to stay longer than 12 months, travel agencies can help you apply for a Second Year Australian Working Holiday Visa.

Conditions of Work

Under the visa you are permitted to take up any kind of temporary or casual work. The main purpose of the visa is to holiday and travel in Australia so you are not permitted to work for longer than 6 months for any one employer.


The 12 month Work USA Work Programme agreed between the governments of Ireland and the United States is now open to part-time students.

Get a true insight into the American way of life first hand, while gaining real experience from an American Employer! The programme gives full and part-time students, undergraduates, post-graduates and recent graduates an opportunity to work in a job in the USA for 1 year and allows you the flexibility to search for a job after you arrive in the US. And remember you can work in any of the 50 US States you wish.


  • 18 years or over and the holder of an Irish Passport
  • Full and Part-time students – studying towards/have obtained a qualification recognised as the equivalent to or higher than Level 6 of the Irish Higher Education System.
  • Be attending/have attend (within the past 12 months) a third level college within the 32 counties of Ireland
  • Recent graduates – must enter the US within 12 months of official graduation date.
  • Qualified solicitors/accountants
  • Not work in an unskilled occupation or prohibited J1 job as defined by the US State Department.

Previous J-1 Visa Holders

If you have previously participated in the US J-1 Summer Work and Travel Programme (WAT), you can apply for the Intern Work & Travel Programme provided you fulfill the requirements listed above. You must have spent at least 90 days out of the US since completion of the US Work and Travel Programme before you can begin your traineeship in the US. You can begin your application process before the 90 days is up, but you will not be allowed to start the programme until this time period has passed.

Previous participants on the Internship USA programme can participate on this programme for the full 12 months provided they meet all eligibility requirements. Your 12 month Work USA Visa training plan should show a clear progression on the previous training plan and you must have been outside the US for 90days minimum between Internship visas.

J-1: I have researched thoroughly prices for a J-1 visa and my results convey that USIT provides the most reasonable offer.


  • Any nationality studying in Ireland or
  • Irish, Northern Ireland Nationals studying in Great Britain or
  • Irish Nationals on Erasmus/Socrates abroad or
  • Legal permanent resident of Northern Ireland studying in Great Britain


  • 18 years of age at time of application or
  • 18 years of age by 25th May 2011 (with parental permission in form of co-signature on application form)

J1 Programme Fee -NOW €99 was €279. Click this link to view other costs included


This 12-month work permit allows Irish passport holders aged 18-35 to work anywhere in Canada for up to 12 months.

  • Be 18-35 years old inclusive at the time your application is received. Your application must be stamped as received by the Embassy of Canada in Paris on or after your 18th birthday, and before your 36th birthday;
  • Be an Irish citizen and be able to demonstrate permanent residency prior to your application to the IEC;
  • Be holding an Irish passport that remains valid throughout the period of stay in Canada. This means that at the time of application your passport should be valid for approximately another 26 months to account for the application processing time of 8 weeks, the one year validity of the Letter of Introduction, and the normal stay of 12 months. When the work permit is issued in Canada, it will not be longer than the validity of the passport.
  • Be in possession of a departure ticket leaving Canada at the end of your authorized period of stay or sufficient financial resources to purchase such a ticket;
  • Possess sufficient funds to cover expenses in Canada for the first 3 months of the stay (775€ / $1,000 CAD per month);
  • Medical Insurance – prior to entering Canada, insurance for medical and health care, including hospitalization and repatriation, for the entire authorized period of stay. Proof of this insurance coverage must be presented to Immigration officials upon arrival in Canada.

New Zealand

The New Zealand Working Holiday Visa (WHM Visa) allows young people between the ages of 18 and 30 to have an extended holiday supplemented by casual employment for up to 12 months in New Zealand. Under the Working Holiday programme in New Zealand, the primary purpose of your visit must be holiday, but you are entitled to seek temporary employment in New Zealand to help fund your stay.


To be eligible for this New Zealand visa you must meet the following criteria:

  • You are aged between 18 and 30 years old (inclusive)
  • You are not bringing children to New Zealand
  • You have not been granted a Working Holiday Visa to New Zealand before
  • You have sufficient funds to support yourself on arrival in New Zealand
  • You hold a passport from an eligible country.

Prices vary on New Zealand packages.

Written by: Seana Henry

Proofed by:  Dara O’Conor

Uploaded by: Emma Duggan


No Responses to “Emigration & Travel Tips”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: